Increasing Recycling in Highland Park

The City of Highland Park is working with SWALCO to reduce the amount of garbage going to the landfill by increasing recycling. Click here to learn more about the program, and find out what you can recycle in Lake County. Both electronics and styrofoam can be dropped off for recycling on Tuesdays and Fridays from 7 am – 1 pm at the Firearms Training Center, 1180 Half Day Road in Highland Park.

If you have ideas for recycling or reuse of items not commonly recyclable, email me and I will post the information.  For creative recycling ideas, check out this link.

Officially a Candidate

I have filed my petitions with the City Clerk, making official my decision to run for Highland Park City Council. While I only needed 96 signatures to qualify for inclusion on the ballot, I turned in just over 400. I’m grateful to everyone who helped gather signatures, or signed the petitions. You have proven that, by working together, we can accomplish much.

Chasing Ice

Environmental photographer James Balog created The Extreme Ice Survey to document the loss of glaciers. The movie Chasing Ice is the story of his mission to change the tide of history by gathering undeniable evidence of climate change using time-lapse cameras.  I saw this movie last spring, and recommend seeing it on a big screen — the images are breathtaking.  Now is your chance, as it is playing at the Music Box Theatre in Chicago through this Thursday, November 22.  For details, click here.

Accident Reports Now Available Online

If you have been involved in a traffic accident recently and filed a report with the Highland Park Police Department, you may now purchase copies of the accident report online at your convenience. Accident reports are generally available within four to five days after the accident occurred, excluding holidays and weekends. Online reports are provided electronically in a PDF format. To obtain a copy of an accident report, click here and select “Illinois,” then “Highland Park Police Department.” you’ll need to provide the date of accident, report number, and a credit card for payment of the copy fee. Then follow the instructions to obtain a report. For more information, please contact Debbie Dayboll, Records Supervisor, at (847) 432-7730.